George Andrew played an active role on the Public Works
Subcommittee directly benefited this area. Lake Andrews and
the dam was originally named the Columbia Lock and Dam and was
renamed for Congressman Andrews in 1972.
George William Andrews was born in Clayton, Alabama in 1906 and
served as a United States Representative from 1944 until his
death in 1971. Andrews chaired the Legislative Subcommittee and
sat on the Department of Defense Subcommittee.
In 1953, a resolution was adopted by the House Committee on
Public Works for the development of the ACF River Basin. The
projects were authorized for navigation, power generation and
stream flow regulation. Recreational facilities at the lakes
were authorized by the Flood Control Act of 1944. The lakes
have been operational since 1963.
This 1,540-acre reservoir Lake George W. Andrews is located on
the Chattahoochee River above Columbia, Alabama. Centered on
the border between Alabama and Georgia, just above the Florida